So you want to get into ketosis? The ketogenic diet is the best way to achieve that. This popular diet comes with numerous benefits, and giving it a try will definitely be worth it. This article explores the nature of ketosis and offers some tips to accelerate getting into it.
Want to know more about ketosis? If slimming down has seemed like an impossible task for you, then the ketogenic diet might be the answer you’ve been looking for. People all over the world are using it to lose weight and suppress excessive appetite. But make no mistake about it: reaching ketosis is difficult and can take you as long as two weeks. The diet requires you to eliminate many foods and reduce your carb intake. Even if you make the process easier with the best keto supplement, it’s still quite a challenge.
The good news is that once your body gets keto-adapted, it will start using its own fat-storages for energy. Yes, you read that right. To find out more about ketosis, it’s benefits, and how to achieve it faster, keep reading this article.
What is Ketosis?
How to define ketosis? Simply put, ketosis is a state of the metabolism in which the liver starts making ketone bodies. And what are ketones? They’re chemicals that your body produces when there’s a lack of insulin to convert sugar into energy. Your body turns to another energy source, which is your fat.
The liver breaks down the free fatty acids into ketones and pushes them into your bloodstream. These ketone bodies then reach the tissues of your body. Interestingly, in some conditions, like diabetes, the higher level of ketones is actually pathological. But in healthy individuals, it can have numerous health benefits.
Let’s take a look at these.
The Benefits of Ketosis?
Reaching ketosis with the help of the ketogenic diet is one of the healthiest ways of weight loss. Why is this so? Because the weight you will be losing will mostly go from your body fat. Here are some more benefits:
- Ketones are also known to prevent muscle breakdown, which makes the ketogenic diet perfect for anyone looking to build or maintain their muscle mass.
- Ketones will improve your ability to focus and keep a healthy hormonal balance.
- Ketones will also boost your energy levels and protect you from heart disease.
Can’t wait to get into ketosis? Let’s continue with ways to accelerate reaching this goal.
How to Get Into Ketosis Fast?
These are our top tips:
- Cut the carbs. You shouldn’t eat more than 30 grams of carbs a day to get into ketosis. There is no way around this.
- Do high-intensity interval training to force your body to use all of its carb stores. By depleting your carbs, the body has no choice but to burn fat for energy.
- Use fasting. As you switch from carbohydrates to fat for the main source of energy, the body is tricked into thinking its starving. Maintain the fast and prepare yourself for the irritability that comes from feeling starved and accelerate the production of ketones.
- Make a meal plan and stick to it. The truth is that it takes a lot of effort to start the ketogenic diet. Getting into ketosis will not happen by accident and requires careful planning.
- Use an online ketosis calculator to know exactly how much macronutrients you need to eat every day.
- To keep optimal blood glucose levels for ketosis, you might want to consider testing the levels with a blood sugar meter.
Reaching ketosis is the perfect solution to lose weight and improve mental focus. The best part is that unlike many other diets, the ketogenic one gives you more energy and protects your heart. Follow a clear plan for ketogenic eating, and you’ll be in ketosis in no time. Give it a go. Trust us, you’ll be glad you did.
Did we answer your most burning questions? Leave comments below, we’d love to hear about your experiences. Your opinion is important to us!
Salman Zafar is an ecopreneur, consultant, advisor, speaker and journalist with expertise in waste management, waste-to-energy, renewable energy, environment protection, conservation and sustainable development. His geographical areas of focus include Asia, Middle East, Africa and Europe. Salman is the Founder of EcoMENA, a popular voluntary organization based in Qatar. He is also the Founder and CEO of BioEnergy Consult, a reputed consulting firm active in biomass, waste-to-energy and waste management segments.
Salman is a professional environmental writer with more than 350 popular articles to his credit. He is proactively engaged in creating mass environmental awareness in different parts of the world.
Salman Zafar can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com